I was inspired by this post on Homemade Butter that I saw the other week and decided to try it myself! Crystal made her butter by shaking it in a carton, but I’m a little too lazy for that and decided to use the food processor instead.
Organic Whipping Cream is on “manager’s special” pretty often at my local Kroger, so it’s possible that you could make organic butter (and a little bit of buttermilk) for very cheap.
I looked up a few other techniques and did the following:
1. Pour 1 carton of Heavy Whipping Cream into the food processor.
2. Turn the food processor on high and let it mix for around 3 minutes or so. The liquid will go from foamy, to soft whipped cream, to thick whipped cream, and then it will eventually turn yellow and separate. Let it mix a little while longer and then take off the top. You will have two parts… the butter and the buttermilk.
3. Strain out the buttermilk (I used a coffee filter). My 1 pint of Whipping Cream made 1 cup of buttermilk, which is the perfect amount of buttermilk to make Homemade Scones!!
4. If you want to, put the butter back into the food processor and add some water. Mix it all up again and strain it one more time. You can keep adding water and straining until it’s clear… but I was ready to have some bread and butter so I stopped after one time.
5. Put your strained butter into a container and store it in the fridge.
6. Enjoy!! And OH MY! Homemade butter is SOOOO much better than store bought!