In my opinion there is WAY too much salt in canned Cream of Mushroom Soup (even the reduced sodium ones). Plus, I’m not a big fan of canned food since most cans are lined with BPA. So, I researched and found a great recipe for Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup! And I have to say that I don’t think I will go back to canned again. This tastes SOOOO much better!
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Author: Rachel @ Surviving The Stores
- 12 - 16 ounces of Mushrooms (whichever variety you prefer)
- 3 Tablespoons chopped Onions
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (store-bought or homemade butter)
- 6 Tablespoons of Flour
- 2⅔ cup Chicken Broth (homemade chicken broth is always so much better!)
- 1 cup of Light Cream or 1 (12 oz.) can of Evaporated Milk (I bet you could substitute regular milk here as well)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- Chopped parsley (to taste)
- Chopped Tarragon (optional)
- Sprinkle of Nutmeg (optional)
- Slice, chop, or mince the mushrooms (however you like it best). My husband isn't big on the texture of mushrooms, so I minced them up pretty small in the food processor.
- Melt butter in a skillet and add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook on med-high heat until the onions are clear and soft. (I transferred the mix to another pot at this point, but that's probably not necessary).
- Blend in 3 Tablespoons of the flour and stir.
- Add the broth and stir with wire wisk until blended well.
- Mix cream or milk, salt, pepper, 3 Tablespoons flour, and seasonings in a separate bowl. Add to the soup and stir pretty constantly with a wire wisk while it thickens over med to med-high heat.
- Let simmer for about an hour, stirring often.
Once you’ve made this, can you freeze it to pull out for recipes later on?
Surviving The Stores says
As far as I know, yes. I plan on doing that the next time I make it although I haven’t tried it with this particular recipe.
Thank you so much for this!! My husband CANNOT have MSG. All the soups have them. made the geen bean casserole with Progresso last year and added more mushrooms. But if you dont get it on sale expensive plus still makes me nervous with what else is in it. Gonna give it a try:)))
Surviving The Stores says
@Tina, I know, canned foods with ingredients that I can’t pronounce make me nervous too. I love making stuff like this from scratch! I just don’t like all of the cleanup that usually goes with it. 🙂
I really like soups and this particular recipe seems very quick and easy to make so will definately be giving it a try tonight.
Mama Kelly aka Jia says
My daughter was just asking me recently if I could make this. Thanks for sharing the recipe
Shawna Hynd says
My mom has CHF and is on a low sodium diet as is my older brother so I have been taking to making my own soups and sauces cause the canned and jarred stuff has so much sodium its grotesque not to mention ingredients I can’t even PRONOUNCE … now my nieces and nephews tell their parents they want to go over to aunt Shawna’s lol… to eat cause they get to help make whatever it is they are having for dinner … LOL its amazing what you can get a kid to eat if they help prepare it lol I’ll have to make this one when my niece comes over she adores Cream of mushroom soup..