The following fall recipe is brought to you by one of our awesome recipe contributors, Patti at Blossoms and Posies!
Autumn brings apple and squash aplenty and this is the time of year when you’ll see great sales on these items!
That means that Autumn Butternut Squash Apple Soup, with its hint of spice, is an ideal fall recipe to enjoy as the evenings turn chilly!
My family is not usually very enthusiastic about winter squash, but they loved this soup and asked for more. The real test of kid-pleaser status came when I made this Butternut Squash Apple Soup for our two year old niece and her parents. At first she didn’t want to try it (it’s orange!) but once she got some in her mouth she kept asking for more. I ended up sending all the leftovers home with her mom and dad!
You might think the apples would make this a sweet soup but they don’t. And the hint of ginger really makes the flavor pop, so don’t leave that out!
Special bonus: not only is this soup yummy, it is also good for you – butternut squash is chock full of good nutrients, especially vitamin C, vitamin A and beta-carotene.
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe (with a Vitamix!)
- 2½ lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 large apples (about ¾ lb) peeled, cored, and quartered
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 stick cinnamon
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- Place broth in a large pot, then add squash, apples and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer until the squash is tender (25 minutes.)
- Remove the cinnamon stick and carefully blend the hot broth, squash and apples in a Vitamix (or use an immersion blender in the pot)
- Pour soup from Vitamix back into the pot, then add water, cream, butter, salt, nutmeg and ginger. Stir well.
- Cook on low, until heated through. Serve immediately.
Follow me on Pinterest for more great recipe ideas!
|Patti Brown is a wife and mom who loves to play in the kitchen. Her three children and husband are usually happy to try her inventions, and even join the fun. Their kitchen is the busiest room in the house!
Patti and her daughter write about cooking, handcrafts and their latest home arts projects at their blog Blossoms And Posies.
Read more about Patti here! >>