Here’s a fun fall craft that just about anyone could do! The cost is minimal and it would make a perfect fall mantle decoration.
My friend Sarah posted this project to her Facebook page and I was so impressed that I asked her if I could post it here on STS. I haven’t tried it yet, mostly because spray paint with a 2 year old around doesn’t always turn out so well, but it’s a project that I’m totally convinced that even I could do (for those who are new to STS, I’m about as far from a “crafty person” as you can get)!
Here’s how to make it:
1. Grab a box of Mason Jar Lids (with the rings) from your store. They should be under $3 at most Walmart stores.
2. Lay the ring part of the lids out on newspaper and paint with 2 coats of orange (or any color) spray paint. Once the paint dries, you’ll need to flip the rings over to paint the other side.
3. After the rings are dry, put 12 of the rings into a semi-circle and tie a piece of twine through the middle (be sure to tie it pretty tightly).
4. Spread out the rings so that they look like a pumpkin.
5. Touch up any areas that may need some touch-up paint.
6. My friend used a piece of her Aloe Vera plant for the stem but you could use a stick from the backyard, a cinnamon stick, a piece of wood, some brown construction paper, etc…
7. And, if you just hate the idea of wasting the other part of the mason jar lids (and you don’t have jars that you could use extra seals for) then you can use them to make more pumpkins to decorate with!!
You could also use any rusty or bent rings that you have on hand and the lids from previously canned items.
That’s what I used. Turned out great.
Love this idea! I’ve seen jars and lids at yard sales and thrift stores that would work. Plus, it would be a great way to introduce my kids to spray painting.
What would you use to glue the lids together in the second craft?
Linda Mendenhall says
The best craft glue is E6000. I buy at Walmart in craft deptment.
Pamela Edwards says
A great way to use those lids new ones and the ones that have been used that we just throw them away. Very Cute!!!!!!!!!
Judith Gereau says
lOve these fall decorating Ida’s!!!!!!!!!! Will try them all!
Marcia L. Couturier says
Use cinnamon sticks in the center of the rings for the pumpkins.
Rose Villareal says
This is an awesome idea. I would love more ideas for mason jars. Thanks for sharing.
Janie Canales says
How NEAT is that. I’m going to try it ASAP. Ty so much for ur ideas.