One of my favorite parts about summer is the STRAWBERRIES and there is no reason to let these sweet berries leave when the cold weather hits. With some simple supplies and and steps you can freeze your strawberries and enjoy them all year long without paying out of season prices in the grocery store.
- Whole strawberries
- A colander or bowl
- A cookie sheet
- A knife or strawberry huller
- Freezer bags
- Wash and sort through your strawberries picking the best ones.
- Hull the strawberries (cut out the green part).
- Arrange your strawberries in rows on a cookie sheet. You may want to line your cookie sheet with wax paper. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer. Freezing the strawberries on a cookie sheet first will make it much easier to remove the desired quantity later on.
- Place frozen strawberries in freezer bags and place in freezer. Date the bag and eat within 6 months for best taste and texture.
Well, that sure was easy!
If you want to make it the old fashioned way by freezing in a simple syrup, then just use the following directions. Dissolve 4 cups of sugar into 1 cup of water (hot water will be faster). Chill your syrup and add any flavors that you would like to add (like orange zest or vanilla). Add the strawberries (whole or slides) to a plastic or glass har and top will the chilled simple syrup. You will need about 1/2 cup of syrup per pint of strawberries. Seal the container and freeze!