I have been stocking up on the Kraft Mayonnaise at Target while it’s been at 49¢ for the past few weeks…. and now it’s FREE! Oh, what should I do??
I guess I’m just going to have to get creative! We all know that mayo can get gum out of your hair, but how often does that happen (unless you have a gum-chewing three year old, then it might happen pretty often!!)
I have been looking around online for recipes and alternative uses for mayonnaise and there are so many possibilities! 🙂 Here are a few ideas on what you can do with all of this extra Mayo:
1) Make homemade salad dressing! If you didn’t stock up on Salad Dressing when it was free or 8¢ a bottle, you can make your own! Not only can you use these yourself, but you can give them out to neighbors and friends as well! Remember that mayonnaise spoils easily, so it must be kept refrigerated. (These are the recipes with the best ratings on Allrecipes.com)
2) Make Tartar Sauce! I love homemade tartar sauce with grilled, broiled, or pan-seared fish (and fried fish too but I don’t make fried fish that often). You can get several recipes HERE.
3) Use it as a conditioner for your hair! After shampooing, massage 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of mayo into your hair. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, shampoo again (use much less than the first time) and rise with apple cider vinegar (which is great for your hair and also gets rid of the mayo smell) and water.
4) Use it to moisturize your face! Mayonnaise actually helps to remove dead skin cells. Apply a small amount to face (or other dry parts of your body) and leave on for about 15 minutes. Then use a warm wet rag to wipe it off and the dead skin cells will come off too! You can use Apple Cider Vinegar as a toner after the mayo… again, good for your skin and helps to get rid of the mayo smell.
5) Clean your car! Really?? You know those caked on tar patches on the bottom of your car? Apply some mayo to them, let it sit a few minutes and then wipe it off! Reapply if necessary.
6) Relieve sunburn pain! Take some cold mayo out of the fridge and rub it on your sunburn for instant cooling relief. The vinegar in the mayo also helps to relieve the pain.
7) Use instead of Goo-Gone! Goo-Gone (the stuff that gets the sticky glue residue off containers) is pretty expensive, but mayonnaise will do the trick just as well. If you take the label off of a container and the sticky glue part won’t come up, just rub it with some mayonnaise and and a cloth and it will disappear! Make sure to use a different part of the cloth each time you wipe or you will put the sticky stuff back on the container.
8) Keep your hands soft and fingernails strong! Soak the tips of your fingers in mayonnaise every night for 10-15 minutes to soften the tips of your fingers (where the skin gets dry and eventually leads to hangnails) and to strengthen your fingernails. Pretty neat, huh?
9) Give it away! Food banks, neighbors, friends, relatives. Who doesn’t need mayo? 🙂
You can find more mayonnaise recipes HERE.
Do you have any other tips or creative ways to use mayonnaise? Please leave a comment and let us know!