This post was written back in 2010, but I wanted to reshare it since this recipe has worked so great for me! Also, be sure to read through all the comments to see how others have used this recipe!
I have been wanting one of these Bissell Little Green Deep Cleaners for a while and Ryan got one for me for Christmas! Yay!!
One of the “Christmas presents” I typically ask for every year is to have our carpets cleaned for the holidays because with 3 kids running around the house they get dirty pretty quickly and end up with lots of stains in a year’s time.
But having your carpets professionally cleaned just gets so expensive and since you can get your own cleaning machine at less than half the price of a professional cleaning we decided to do that this year instead.
The only thing I was concerned about was the carpet cleaner for my new machine since it’s full of chemicals that I’d prefer not to have in my house. So I did a little research on organic/natural carpet cleaners and they are WAY EXPENSIVE. Definitely out of our price range.
I did a little more research and put together a great homemade recipe for carpet cleaner/shampoo that worked wonders on our carpets. It was super easy to make and smells great!
The measurements below should fit the Bissell Little Green Deep Cleaner but I’ve heard from readers who have used the same proportions in larger cleaners and it worked great too.
- 1½ quarts of hot (NOT boiling) water
- ¼ cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (it’s the regular hydrogen peroxide that you can get at any store)
- 1½ Tablespoons of White Vinegar
- 1½ Tablespoons of Dish Soap (we use Seventh Generation and it worked great)
- About 5 drops of your favorite essential oil(s) – either just one or a combination. Lemon and lavender are great!
- Mix all of the ingredients together (be sure to add the dish soap to the water and not the water to the dish soap – you’ll see why if you do it the wrong way just once)
- Pour into your carpet cleaning machine.
- Clean like the directions tell you to.
I love knowing exactly what’s in the things I use in my house!
Do you enjoy tips like these? Then click “Like” below to follow Surviving The Stores on Facebook!
Other helpful posts:
If you are curious about what’s going on with our family, and the things that we are up to (including the natural remedies that we are using and green living ideas that we are implementing) then feel free to subscribe to my personal Facebook page below:
For all of the latest hot deals, printable grocery coupons, store deals, restaurant & retail coupons, freebies, samples, and a lot more be sure to sign up for the Surviving The Stores Email Newsletter, Like STS on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter!