One of the “Christmas presents” I typically ask for every year is to have our carpets cleaned for the holidays because with 3 kids running around the house they get dirty pretty quickly and end up with lots of stains in a year’s time. But having your carpets professionally cleaned just gets so expensive and since you can get your own cleaning machine at less than half the price of a professional cleaning we decided to do that this year instead.
The only thing I was concerned about was the carpet cleaner for my new machine since it’s full of chemicals that I’d prefer not to have in my house. So I did a little research on organic/natural carpet cleaners from the store/Amazon and they are very expensive. Definitely out of our price range.
I did a little more research and put together a great homemade recipe for carpet cleaner/shampoo that works wonders on our carpets. It’s super easy to make and smells great! The measurements below should fit the Bissell Little Green Deep Cleaner but I’ve heard from readers who have used the same proportions in larger cleaners and it worked great too.
HOMEMADE CARPET CLEANER
- 1½ quarts of hot (NOT boiling) water
- ¼ cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (it’s the regular hydrogen peroxide that you can get at any store)
- 1½ Tablespoons of White Vinegar
- 1½ Tablespoons of Dish Soap (we use Seventh Generation and it works great)
- About 5 drops of your favorite essential oil – either just one or a combination. Lemon and lavender are great!
- (Optional) If you’re having problems with the solution making too many suds, then you can add a very small amount (1 Tbsp or so) of fabric softener
- Mix all of the ingredients together (be sure to add the dish soap to the water and not the water to the dish soap – you’ll see why if you do it the wrong way just once)
- Pour into your carpet cleaning machine.
- Clean like the directions tell you to.
I love knowing exactly what’s in the things I use in my house!
Join us on Pinterest & Facebook for more Natural Remedies & Healthy Living Tips!