Since I started South Beach back on January 1st (still going strong, btw, even though I have had a few cheating days) I’ve tried to find as many great low-carb recipes as possible that can be adapted to have carbs for the rest of the fam.
One of my favorite things to do is make homemade meatballs! They are SO easy, are packed full of protein, and if you bake them instead of fry them then they will hold together really well even without the eggs and breadcrumbs (we just found out that our youngest is allergies to eggs, but hopefully he will grow out of it!)
So… here is my absolute favorite and EASY Homemade Low-Carb Baked Meatball recipe!! And it’s pretty versatile too. You can add or substitue any of the seasonings if you want to, or you can add some tomato sauce or ketchup or even parmesan cheese if you want those flavors instead!
- 1 – 1.5 lbs. Ground Beef
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (or you can used 1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic)
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder (or about ¼ cup of chopped onions)
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Italian Seasoning
- ¼ cup Garbanzo Bean Flour (I grind up dried garbazo beans in the food processor)
- A few squirts of mustard
- 3 cups of fresh spinach lightly cooked and then chopped, or a small package of frozen spinach chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all of the ingredients together (see, I said it was easy!)
- Form into 1 – 1½ inch balls and put onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake until full cooked (around 25 minutes)
So what all can you make with meatballs? The possibilities are nearly endless!!
Here are some fun meatball ideas that I found on none other than Pinterest!!
Just click on the picture below to go to that page on Pinterest (from there you can like it or repin it) and then click on the recipe AGAIN to go to the blog that posted that recipe!
Of course first, there’s the traditional Spaghetti & Meatballs:
Then you can change it up some to really be low carb with Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs:
Mmm… Pesto goes great on just about anything!
So do pineapple and red bell peppers!
You just can’t beat meat smothered in BBQ Sauce!
And then we have all of the Ethnic variations like:
and Spanikikopita Meatballs (what?? But they look awesome!)