Last month Kenmore asked for my biggest cooking challenge! This month, I’m sharing my Genius Tip on how I overcame that challenge!
My BIGGEST cooking challenge is making healthy meals for my family and STILL be able to stay on budget!
We have been transitioning over the past year or so to eating more REAL, unprocessed foods, but I have struggled to keep our food budget where we want it to stay.
I have tweaked things and tweaked things and finally come to the point where I have been able to stay on budget while fixing healthy foods by…. KEEPING IT SIMPLE!
Yep, that would be my biggest piece of advice for eating healthy on a budget. The more I make SIMPLE, healthy meals, the lower I can keep my budget.
Does that mean that I can’t try out every recipe that looks yummy? Yep, it does. But I’m okay with that. Keeping our food bills within our budget is more important to me than fixing fancy dinners.
So how do I keep it simple? Here are a few things I do:
- We have the same dishes OFTEN (if broccoli is on sale this week then we might have broccoli 5 out of 7 nights!)
- I use less meat in recipes since organic, grass-fed (or pastured) meat is a big expense.
- I make recipes that use basic ingredients that I would generally have on hand (to keep myself from buying specialty ingredients that would go to waste).
- I stock up on great deals on healthy foods when I can so that I can buy when the price is the lowest.
- Having regular “eat from the pantry/freezer weeks” where we just eat what we already have and don’t spend anything extra!
Kenmore is on the search for everyday genius & each month they are giving away $3,000 in Kenmore gift certificates and a chance to have the best Genius Tip turned into an Ad! Enter your Genius Tip Today!
What is your Genius Tip? Kenmore wants to know, and is giving away up to $3,000 in Gift Certificates and a chance to have the best Genius Tip turned into a TV Ad!
Visit Kenmore’s Facebook page and enter today!
You can also share your quick genius tip with us here:
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kenmore. The opinions and text are all mine.